Monday, January 21, 2008

Honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today is a day to celebrate and reflect on the life and work of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I spent some time watching videos and listening to his words, and I am happy to share some of the most inspiring ones I found with you. I will also spend some time in quiet contemplation to cultivate compassion and peace in my own heart. Listening to Dr. King's words strengthens my commitment to pursuing social justice causes through nonviolent means. I hope you find some truth or inspiration here.

I look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow at our first meeting of the Violence and Trauma Group Study!

MLK - A Knock at Midnight

Here MLK talks about how he endured the persecution he and his family experienced in retaliation for his civil rights work.

His Last Speech, "I've Been to the Mountaintop"

Prophetic words, he was assassinated the next day.

Martin Luther King on War


From Birmingham to D.C.

This video follows Dr. King from the movement in Birmingham to DC. Highlighting his speeches in 1963 and ending with his last speech in 1968. Set to music by DeVotchKa "How It Ends."


In The Name of Love

In memory of MLK...slideshow set to U2's "Pride(In The Name of Love)."

Early morning, April 4
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride

In the name of love
What more in the name of love

No comments:

Who Are You? (check all that apply)

How did you find this blog?

Trauma and Recovery

Trauma and Recovery
by Judith Lewis Herman

Don't Hit My Mommy

Don't Hit My Mommy
by Alicia Lieberman and Patricia Van Horn

Violence: A National Epidemic

Violence: A National Epidemic
by James Gilligan

Submission

Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Ayaan Hirsi Ali
from the cover of "Infidel"